The name of Beirut Port has been mentioned
since the fifteenth century BC in the mutual letters of the Pharaohs
and the Phoenicians, and during the Roman Era, it was developed
into a commercial and economic center. During the Omayyad Era, the
Port of Beirut became the center for the First Arabic Fleet. As
for the Crusaders Era, the Port of Beirut had an important role
in the maritime trade between East and West. This role had been
fortified during the Mameluke Era when it was turned into a commercial
center visited by pilgrims of the Holy Lands. By the end of the
19th century, the current Port of Beirut had been founded..
On 19/6/1887, the Ottoman authority
gave the concession of the Port to an Ottoman company
under the name of "Compagnie du Port, des Quais et des
Entrepôts de Beyrouth". The concession was later fortified
when the company gained from the Customs the sole rights
to store and carry all the transit goods passing through
the Customs. Constructions works namely a maritime dam
to expand and develop the Port were accomplished and
the opening on the occasion of the accomplishment of
these works was celebrated by the end of 1894, basins
were developed and spread between Ras Al Shamiah and
Ras Al Mudawar.
On 20/5/1925, the “Compagnie du Port,
des Quais et des Entrepôts de Beyrouth” got the French
On the 13/4/1960, the company's name
was changed and a 30 years concession was given to a
Lebanese company called "Compagnie de Gestion et d'Exploitation
du Port de Beyrouth", that worked on expanding Môle
3 and the break water, and finishing quay 14.
On 31/12/1990, the concession ended.
The government forced a temporary committee to manage the Port of